World-classBird Watching, Fauna & Flora
Dullstroom is home to three endangered cranes and particularly the scarce wattled crane. The Highland Crane Group do intensive research in the area. Verlorenvallei has been declared a Ramsar-site and hosts a wide variety of field orchids.
• Bird of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre one kilometer out of town on the Belfast Road; open 9:00 – 16:30. Daily live displays at 10:30 & 14:30 – see the hunting and survival techniques of raptors.
• Verloren Valei Nature Reserve guided tours strictly by prior appointment. The reserve is open for special interest groups such as birders, orchid societies, butterfly, Field Trail clubs and wing shooting for sustainable utilisation. Flowering peak: Nov to Jan.
• Highlands Crane Group
• Our neighbouring village Tonteldoos, is home to the beautiful yellow arum lily Zantedeschia pentlandii, the Reitzii aloe and rare orchid species like the Disa zuluensis.
UNLIKE ANYWHERE ELSEHorse Riding
- Dullstroom Riding Centre: Situated at The Owl and Oak Centre 9 km towards Lydenburg. Horse rides available hourly, pony rides for children under 12 yrs. All rides take place under supervision of Dave Curtis.
- Elandskloof: 5km on Machado rd. Pony rides, donkey cart rides, mountain bike trails.
- Dunkeld Equestrian center: 3 km from hotel ogffering amateur and professional riding
a global destination forTROUT FISHING
- Dullstroom Dam (2 dams) permits available at Village Angler or @ Dam
- Bird of Prey Centre – for beginners and professionals. Guaranteed to catch your first trout.
- Laverpa Dams – Premium flyfishing on 3 very well stocked dams.Catch and release only.
For the thrill seekersMountain Biking
Several popular trails in the area provide excellent biking for all
A total of 46 km on dirt road with very little traffic and very safe. Climb to 2150m soon after leaving Dullstroom. There are a few climbs along the way but the route gradually drops to 1800m. You will pass numerous trout fishing syndicates and stunning farms. A midway break can be found at Pendlehill Dairy / Cheese Farm & Restaurant, a good point to reload your carbs and protein naturally. The return trip is back along the same road with a lot more climbing!
43 km in total predominantly on dirt road with 5km of tar included. This route can be done clockwise (Hardcore) or anti-clockwise (Wannabe). The Hardcore option starts in Dullstroom, heads out on the Belfast road, turns left @ Birds of Prey Centre onto the Kruisfontein rd, continue down the Kruisfontein road passing private trout syndicates and 3 Estate developments before turning left @ aprox 23 km @ the Morgonzon sign – at this point you dropped from 2050m in Dullstroom to 1750m. From here you climb for 10 km up the escarpment past Wickhams Country Retreat (remember to look back and enjoy stunning views over the escarpment and down into the Kwena Basin at the top of the Wickhams climb), the ride eases off after the Wickhams climb (be warned this is a serious climb) with a few more climbs and drops for about 9 km before reaching the Lydenburg rd, turn left onto the tar back to Dullstroom.
Wannabe route is done in the opposite direction and is easier but has the same amount of total climb. Be careful of the Wickhams decent. It is very steep and very rocky.
75 km in total, predominantly dirt road plus a portion of tar. Start in Dullstroom @ 2050m and head out on the Tonteldoos road climbing to 2150m, descend to Tonteldoos @ 1800m, pass Tonteldoos and continue round on the Rossenekal / Lydenburg / Stoffberg – tar rd climbing to 2256 m before turning right onto the De Berg – Nederhorst – dirt rd. At this point you are close to the highest point –De Berg – on the Steenkampsberg – the highest point in the old Transvaal Province @ 2331m and the highest tar road in South Africa @ 2256m (extremely good chance of snow in winter after cold fronts have hit). From here you ride along a stunning ridge @ 2200m with breathtaking views to your left and right before descending as you pass Veloren Valei (declared a Ramsa Site), down the pass, along the De Berg rd past magnificent farms with a final fast decent to the Lydenburg road. Turn right just before crossing the railway line and ride along next to the railway line on a jeep track. Route can be done either way. Not for the unfit!!
33km in total on predominantly dirt road with 11km of tar. Start in Dullstroom; continue for 9km along the Belfast rd, turn left @ Elandskloof sign. Continue to the Valeispruit sign, turn left, ride along a very quite farm road before descending to the Kruisfontein rd, turn left onto the Kruisfontein rd straight into a good climb. Drop down to the Crocodile River with a few more climbs, reaching the tar road @ Birds of Prey Centre, turn right onto the tar and ride back into Dullstroom.
High-altitudeSport, Fitness & Beauty
Dullstroom’s high altitude (the nearby De Berg is 2300m above sea level) makes it a popular training ground for athletes from all over the world. The celebrity list includes cyclists, long distance runners, ice skaters, race walkers and orienteering athletes – from Comrades winners to Olympic gold medalists.
- The Highlander Spa (currently under renovation)
- Walkersons Country Manor Spa
- Trevor Conn Hair Studio
- Dunkeld Day Spa
- Tennis courts next to Critchley Corner – key at Milly’s
- Golf: Highland Gate Golf and Trout Estate features a magnificent 18-hole Ernie Els signature golf course, rated by many to be one the best in South Africa.
Never Get BoredArts & Entertainment
- Stag & Crown whisky bar – private tastings by arrangement
- Dimitrov Art
- Dry fly-fishing (barbless hooks only) in our trophy pond. Extensive trout fishing in the area
- Micro Brewery – Free beer tasting with onsite production
- Clock shop –The Largest selection of clocks in the Southern Hemisphere
- Shautany Chocolatiers – The only Chocolate shop in Dullstroom that use supreme grade Belgian Chocolate, produces all chocolates by hand and does not use preservatives – Free Tasting’s everyday
- Clay Pigeon Shooting at Field and Stream
- Zip Lining at Dunkeld Country Estate
- Report at the caravan park at the Dullstroom dam, pay R5 entry fee and go for a lazy stroll around Dullstrooms beautiful dams, or ascend Groot Suikerboschkop for lovely views of the area. Hike to the historical Anglo-Boer war fort and cemetery 2km out of town for more info report at the info offices.
- Ama Poot Poot – 10 km from Dullstroom town offering walking trails through caves and fossil sites
- Lomas Creek – Walk the old wagon trail 6km